Information Technology and Mobile Learning
The current digital revolution brought by mobile technology through range of electronic devices such as mobile phones, iPads, Notebooks, e-readers and PDAs is helping students and teachers to design and develop innovative applications. Andriod Tablets and Apple iPads are emerging strong tools meant for empowering students to create innovative Apps with facilities such as flexibility and opportunity to work from anywhere.
Apple iPads that has changed the social lifestyle of people is now changing the learning procedure of classrooms. Schools have multiple stations for charging of iPads and Tablets as students can use these devices as tools to connect with software such as iTunes and iBooks among others. In addition, the modern IT technology tools and components are helpful for development of innovative Apps on such devices.
IT tools and technology components
Following are major technology components that students can use for development and design of mobile Apps.
Technology carrier components
- WiFi technology: This is the carrier component option for students as it provides wireless connection to internet. Acting as an alternative to local area network (LAN), this option facilitates students to work faster from anywhere at any time without any restrictions on connectivity.
- 3G / 4G: These are 3rd and fourth generation telephony standards related to wireless technology. As Analog cellular service started in 1981, the mobile technology started from 1G. With expansion of internet enabled WiFi technology, 3G and 4G are emerging as faster express highways enabling speedy internet connections.
- Bluetooth: This is an important technology carrier component and IT tool. It uses technology pertaining to short-range wireless communication. This feature enables conversation over the phone through a handset. As this technology replaces the cable connection requirement among different electronic devices, it enables synchronization of information from a PC to a mobile phone.
- Operating system: As all application programs in any computer require an operating system (OS) platform that can manage computer software and hardware resources, OS plays an important part in the functionality of computer programs. Similarly, mobile operating system is a platform that enables smooth functioning of all applications and programs running on mobile devices including iPads.
- iOS: This is the propriety operating system owned by Apple. It is designed for use in different handheld mobile devices including iPads, as it is responsive to human actions such as tapping, pinching and swiping. It is a Macintosh based OS
- Android OS: Google developed this operating system. Being Linux based; it enables open sourcing of users to build their own application programs. Hence, this provides more opportunities for students to design and develop their own mobile Apps.
- Windows Phone: Microsoft developed windows operating system for computers and later for mobile phones. The mobile 10 Windows Phone was launched recently in 2015. Most Nokia phones are using this OS.